Cotherstone is an attractive village just a few miles from Barnard Castle. Named after Anglo-Saxon settlers the village is on a ford of the river Tees and in the 11th century a castle was built here of which only earthworks remain today. In 1868 the railway came, three local reservoirs were built and the village of Cotherstone grew. The railway served the local quarries and the disused route winds up the valley and the Teesdale Railway Path makes a great linear walk or cycle route between Barnard Castle and Middleton-in-Teesdale.
In this green and pleasant spot near to our campsite this lovely bench invites walkers to sit and rest in memory of Betty Hutton who lived until she was 76-years old. Her friends and / or relatives chose to remember Betty Hutton with a memorial bench, ensuring her connection with Cotherstone continues and is part of community life beyond the graveyard. A memorial bench is a great way to recognise a link someone had with a place and preserve that association, as well as to pay tribute to the person.